27 September 2008

The unusual journey of a foundling


I am trying to unlock the door...THE door, not my home's door or MY door...I say 'THE' because I don’t feel a sense of belonging with it....the apartment I mean. Hi, I am Vibha. Working, Single, Struggling.

Working...to make ends meet, to have a better life than the one I have, to survive.
Single....in every sense..no friends, no soul mate, no family.
Struggling.....to understand the Purpose of my life on this planet at this particular time period where people are mundane enough to follow “Reality” shows and never ending soaps.

I am an Orphan. I was told that I had been brought to the Orphanage’s doorstep when I was a month old. I grew up with the nuns who took care of the place. I did well at school, went through college and landed with a job. A boring 9 to 5 job with work so monotonous, it could drive anyone crazy but hey! That’s not important as long as you got money, right? Money to live in a world that runs on this special paper. Now that I had a source of income, was deemed independent enough to be on my own…in other words, was kicked out of the only place in the whole wide world that I was familiar with. That I had mistaken to be my permanent abode.

Three months later….
Vibha here. I have news for you…Shantanu. Yes, that’s his name. He is one of my colleagues. A wonderful man whom I am currently dating. I am feeling a bit strange. I don’t know how to express that feeling. What is this that I feel so strongly towards this man? Love? Care? Whatever it is, it does feel good! It feels good to have a cup of coffee with a pinch of laughter, to have a meal spiced up with conversation, to feel so alive with a touch, a hug, a kiss. I am certainly thankful for having such a wonderful man to share my life with…but I still don’t get that sense of belonging. There is something missing and I am unable to find that missing piece in the Jigsaw puzzle of my life.

Three Years Later…
My name is Vibha. Vibha Shantanu. I got married to my sweetheart after a courtship of a year. Married life was a piece of heaven. Never could have asked for more, but I did get something more than I had asked or even hoped for.  It had been two years of martial bliss when I got to experience the journey to motherhood... I  was being rushed to the Hospital. I was about to deliver my baby.

A Painful Miracle later....
I felt so strange the moment my tiny, ‘just delivered’ daughter was placed in my arms. This was something I had never experienced in my entire life...Seeing another soul sharing my blood. I had never seen that before! No parents, no siblings, no cousins, no aunts or uncles in my life. Even my husband, my soul mate, the one I love, the one who has brought joy to my life does not share my blood but this tiny life in my hand does. I finally felt it.The sense of belonging.

12 comments:

Girish Maiya said...

Not bad, but can improve in lot of aspects...

Unknown said...

sis u really can write....and the writing confirms that v share the same blood... ;-)....jokes apart....awaiting for your 3rd best seller.

Vinay said...

The Purpose of my life on this planet... ha ha ha.. good one

Deepthi said...

very very nice . this saved my day (my paper) hmmm .... last year.

manju said...

Good creativity medini !!

All best for all ur future stories and hope one day your stories would become best seller as MEDINI Publishers"

Naga said...

Nice to read these stories, its really time pass stories. This is really different angle in you, I know you are a Siebel Expert, Drawing artist and now Writer. After read these stories I came to know one more angle Keep it up, why don’t you know send to Times of India paper.

All the best – Naga.

Unknown said...

Quite touching... :)

Unknown said...

Before I comment, I should mention that I'm a writing-enthusiast(if there's something like that) and someday wish to put my thought/imaginations on paper(physical or virtual)..

Having said that, I'm obviously in no spot to judge/evaluate the story..

All I wanna/can say is, your story inspired me to think seriously about writing something like that myself. But I'm worried as I know that all the time I'll have my fingers crossed hoping it may turn out to be 1% as good. :D

Medini said...

Hi Saju,
Your comments were taken with an open mind and have been considered to update the post accordingly :)

San said...

..... But this tiny life in my hand does. I finally felt it. The sense of belonging – Vibha

“THE UNUSUAL JOURNEY OF A FOUNDLING” gave me the another new sense of FOUNDLING in motherhood, which made me feel great after reading this medini.

Superb writing………. along with visual of vibha……. I found it is “UNUSUAL” from others...... by expressing both writing and sketching together so well - Santhan

Mohan Kothandaraman said...

Nice read. I know some people who have gone thru a lot to get that sense of belonging...

Rating : 4 ½ Stars

pavvis said...

the feeling of belonging... may be I am expecting an extended version of this .. coz the feeling was cut short ( looks like that). Good starter.

The water we breathe

Hello readers! This story is based on a thought I had during my daily commute to office. I had jolted down the idea least I forget! Thi...